Saturday, March 28, 2009

Trends of the Happy and the Good Girl: an Excursus

I was just reading the beginning of the Histories of Herodotus in which he claims that the happiness of any person is discoverable only upon death. How cheery! This is similar to the claims of, I believe, Plato, and at least one of my professors in graduate school.

An adjunct to his argument seems to be that it is being good that makes one happy (gain prosperity, luck, good looks(!) and morally honorable offspring).

I would have to say that for me, happiness is first, because pursuing the perfect good is a destructive, endless and useless occupation.

Okay, I'll stop pretending. I need love.

When there is a way to know oneself, then I will be a person.

Surprise! I don't know myself.

Blah blah blah.

Tendency is to be loving so that I remember the freedom of home (where home is love).

Crap.

Still waiting for comments.

Love, Estoril Brigid.

2 comments:

  1. Well, it's a little hard to comment when the whole things seems to be this gradual unravelling of self discovery. Something more to be read and admired than commented on. That just wouldn't seem right!

    Also, some folks might take it a little personal that you justcalled a bunch of us a**holes.

    Just my thoughts... hope you are well.

    ZaSU

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI, I attempted to post a response to the comment above, but my AOL connection broke down.

    Just wanted to say that the remark I made aimed at my therapist who took advantage of my incredible passivity to get the name of my blog and one potential partner who used the information in it to question my motives, my way of life, etc. I was not even aware that I had a secret admirer!

    I will be more circumspect "in future."

    Adios and Love,
    Estoril

    ReplyDelete